Practice Areas

Accidents in a Public/Private Place*

Accidents may happen anywhere. It could be a slip, trip or a fall on a wet/slippery surface, uneven surface or a fall from a height. All public places must hold valid public liability insurance in case something happens. This is to protect employees and visitors.

Accidents in a Public/Private Place*2021-11-01T11:50:04+00:00

All property owners, whether their property is public or private, have a duty to keep their premises reasonably clean and safe, and many carry slip and fall insurance. This means that if you have been injured due to a hazardous condition by fault of the property owner or their employee, the property owner’s insurance may be responsible for paying for those injuries.

If you have tripped over something that should be there i.e a kerb, then it’s probably your fault. However, if you slip and fall on something that shouldn’t be there like a wet floor it may be someone else’s fault. Accidents in public places can happen anywhere from on

  • footpaths
  • in leisure playgrounds
  • in shops or restaurants
  • carparks etc

The majority of accidents in public places in Ireland are the result of:

  • Slip and fall on a wet floor
  • Trip on uneven paving
  • Having something fall on you

  • Being attacked by an animal such as a dog
  • Having an accident while on holiday

If you have suffered an injury in any of these circumstances, or any other situation, then contact Houlihan Solicitors on 061 502 090 or email [email protected] and we would be happy to assist you in seeking a claim of compensation for your injuries.

*In contentious business, solicitors may not calculate fees as a percentage of any award or settlement.

Frequently Asked Questions

Accidents may happen anywhere.  Shops, cafes, stairs, fun centres, cinemas, libraries, universities, footpaths, play grounds are only some of the examples and the list is endless.   All public places must hold a valid public liability insurance in case something happens.  This is to protect employees and visitors.

Do I have to report the accident?2021-10-30T14:59:34+00:00

You should most definitely speak to management and advise them that you fell on their premises.   They should take your details and have a written record of it.   If you fell on a public footpath it is the local council that takes charge.   You should report the accident directly to them or speak to your solicitor who can write to the council notifying them of your fall.

No one saw me falling, will this be a problem?2021-10-30T14:59:07+00:00

Witnesses are important but not necessary.   You may have had people come to your attention after your accident or fall.   They have not witnessed the accident but the aftermath of the accident and may be asked to give their account of what happened afterwards only.    Your accident may have been caught on CCTV and this the best form of evidence of your accident and the mechanics of it.    You can also take photographs of the spot you fell at to assist in investigations.

Will I recover compensation if I fell in a shop or on a footpath?2021-10-30T14:58:36+00:00

Accidents happen.  You may have been involved in an accident while out and about.  Whether or not you recover any damages will depend on liability and negligence and injuries sustained (if any). There has to be negligence and injury. You will need to prove that you have tripped over a hazard or slipped on something that shouldn’t have been there.  We have dealt with many cases like this.   We will be able to advise you if you have a case.

Get a personal consultation.

Our expert team are here to help.