This can be a very stressful situation but don’t worry. The best thing to start with is to phone the Gardaí and report this accident.  If the other driver is not insured, the Gardaí may need to prosecute for driving without valid insurance.   If the other driver ran away then you will need to assist the gardaí as best as you can so that they can commence their investigations and hopefully locate the driver.   In this instance, you may have a chance of claiming and recovering damages from the MIBI (The Motor Insurer’s Bureau of Ireland).